Shaykh Kabbani is the founder of the Centre for Spirituality & Cultural Advancement, and is a world renowned lecturer and teacher of the principles of global peace, harmony, and unity amongst all faiths which defines Islamic spirituality. He serves as a guide and teacher to millions of Muslims throughout the world, including the UK, Southeast Asia and the United States. A prominent scholar of mainstream, traditional Islam, Shaykh Muhammad Hisham Kabbani has spent his life spreading the teachings of peace, tolerance, respect and love that are the message of Islam throughout the world. In the United States, Shaykh Kabbani has continued to disseminate the light and peace of Islam’s spiritual dimension to people of every background, ethnicity, race, and belief. Using a framework of traditional Islamic teachings, texts and pedagogies, Shaykh Kabbani addresses religious and social/contemporary issues in an authentic religious paradigm that is palatable for mainstream as well as at-risk youth or young adults who were previously either drawn to violent religious movements or a life of crime and drugs. Shaykh Kabbani mobilizes local community leaders to invest in community centers that estblish programs including intensive deradicalization and theological courses, workshops on classical Islam and spirituality, as well as motivational sacred movement sessions that use uplifting song and instruments to induce a state of well being. It is through the powerful combination of religious retraining and music that young men and women are brought back to the mainstream of society and pursue positive life choices. He has lectured in many universities, including Oxford, the University of California at Berkeley, the University of Chicago, Columbia University, the American University, Howard, McGill, Concordia, and Rutgers.
Major Accomplishments in North America:
- Founded 23 Islamic study and meeting centers in the U.S. and Canada.
- Founded an Islamic retreat and healing center in Michigan.
- Founded the Islamic Supreme Council of America, an educational organization dedicated to the dissemination of informative material on Islam and the presentation of an authentic, scholarly Islamic viewpoint on world affairs.
- Established the American branch of the Haqqani Educational Foundation, dedicated to promoting the fundamental teachings of Islamic belief, including tolerance, respect and peace.
- Served as advisor and speaker, Northern California Interfaith Conference, San Francisco.
- Established As-Sunna Foundation of America for developing, publishing and organizing conferences to provide classical Islamic education.
- Chairman of American Muslim Assistance relief organization, working to help the indigent, orphans and refugees in America and throughout the world.
- Founder of the Muslim Magazine, top-rated English-language Islamic newsmagazine with a truly moderate approach.
- Founder of Kamilat, international Muslim women’s organization.
- Co-Founder of Alliance for Islamic Culture and Arts.
- Chairman of the highly successful International Islamic Unity Conference, whose second conference took place in Washington, DC from August 7-9, 1998.
- Founder of top-rated websites: sunnah.org, unityone.org, islamicsupremecouncil.org, naqshbandi.org, naqshbandi.net and eshaykh.com.
Major Accomplishments in Europe, Middle East and East Asia:
- Works closely with the government and people of Uzbekistan to restore traditional Islamic practices and prevent the increase of religious radicals in the region.
- Co-founder of the Haqqani Worldwide Educational Foundation center for teaching Islamic Divine Law and spirituality in London, England, which houses over 800 students each year and more than 2,000 students per year who attend seminars, workshops and retreats for learning about the essentials of Islam.
- Speaker and advisor, Inter-Religious Organization, Singapore.
- Working at the highest political levels to support relief efforts in Bosnia, Kosova, Afghanistan, Iraq, his native Lebanon and Somalia.
- Supporting peace initiatives in the Middle East, Bosnia, Kashmir, Afghanistan and Kosova.
- Working to free political prisoners and prisoners of conscience the world-over.
- Working with international organizations to establish the International Day of the Orphan as a globally-observed day for highlighting the plight of orphans, foster children and child victims of abuse.
- Co-developer and former General Manager of the Islamic Jeddah Medical Center in Saudi Arabia.
- Invited by Maharishi Mahesh Yogi to attend the opening of his first healing clinic in October 1998.
- Met with Devi Gowda, former PM of India, and C.M. Ibrahim, at that time Aviation Minister of India, when they were all guests at the 7th annual conference of the IMRC in San Jose, 1997.
- “Islamic Radicalism: Its Wahhabi Roots and Current Representation”
- Terrorist Threat in America: Extremist Wave Threatens to Engulf Muslim Americans
- Bin Laden’s Nuclear Weapons
- Usama Bin Laden: A Legend Gone Wrong
- Radicalism: Its Wahhabi Roots and Current Representation
- Jihad: A Misunderstood Concept from Islam
“Principles of Leadership in War and Peace,” a fatwa which rejected the validity of militant jihad today. The fatwa was translated into Arabic and was distributed by the US military to combat insurgency in Iraq.
- Who are the Guides? Institute for Spiritual & Cultural Advancement, 186 pgs, 2009.
- Through the Eye of the Needle, Shaykh Nazim Adil al-Haqqani, Shaykh Muhammad Hisham Kabbani, editors. Islamic Supreme Council of America, 204 pgs, 2008.
- Symphony of Remembrance. Institute for Spiritual & Cultural Advancement, 188 pgs, 2007.
- Universe Rising. Islamic Supreme Council of America, 284 pgs, 2007.
- Illuminations: Compiled Lectures on Shariah and Tasawwuf. Islamic Supreme Council of America, 532 pgs, 2007.
- The Sufi Science of Self-Realization. Fons Vitae, 252 pgs, 2006.
- Pearls and Corals – Secrets of the Sufi Way. Islamic Supreme Council of America, 220 pgs, 2005.
- Keys to the Divine Kingdom – Lessons in Classical Islam’s Spiritual Science. Islamic Supreme Council of America, 88 pgs, 2005.
- Liberating the Soul – A Guide for Spiritual Growth (Volume 1). By Shaykh Nazim Adil al-Haqqani, Shaykh Muhammad Hisham Kabbani (ed). Islamic Supreme Council of America, 360 pgs, 2002.
- Liberating the Soul – A Guide for Spiritual Growth (Volume 2). By Shaykh Nazim Adil al-Haqqani, Shaykh Muhammad Hisham Kabbani (ed). Islamic Supreme Council of America, 328 pgs, 2002.
- Liberating the Soul – A Guide for Spiritual Growth (Volume 3). By Shaykh Nazim Adil al-Haqqani, Shaykh Muhammad Hisham Kabbani (ed). Islamic Supreme Council of America, 208 pgs, 2005.
- The Approach of Armageddon – An Islamic Perspective. Islamic Supreme Council of America, 292 pgs, 2003.
- Classical Islam and the Naqshbandi Sufi Order. Islamic Supreme Council of America, 972 pgs, 2003.
- Muhammad the Messenger of Allah – His Life and Prophecy. By Hajjah Amina Adil, Shaykh Nazim Adil al-Haqqani, Shaykh Muhammad Hisham Kabbani (ed). Islamic Supreme Council of America, 582 pgs, 2002.
- Liberating the Soul – A Guide for Spiritual Growth (Vol 1 to 3). By Shaykh Nazim Adil al-Haqqani, Shaykh Muhammad Hisham Kabbani (ed). Islamic Supreme Council of America, 2002, Vol 1 (360 pgs), Vol 2 (328 pgs), Vol 3 (190 pgs).
- In the Mystic Footsteps of Saints (Vol 1 & 2). By Shaykh Nazim Adil al-Haqqani, Shaykh Muhammad Hisham Kabbani (ed). Islamic Supreme Council of America, 2002.
- Encyclopedia of Islamic Doctrine. Kazi Publications, 1998.
- Volume 1 – Beliefs. 232 pgs.
- Volume 2 – Remembrance of Allah and Praising the Prophet. 225 pgs.
- Volume 3 – The Prophet: Commemorations, Visitation and His Knowledge of the Unseen. 191 pgs.
- Volume 4 – Intercession. 181 pgs.
- Volume 5 – Self-Purification and the State of Excellence. 192 pgs.
- Volume 6 – Forgotten Aspects of Islamic Worship, Part 1. 177 pgs.
- Volume 7 – Forgotten Aspects of Islamic Worship, Part 2. 232 pgs.
- Encyclopedia of Muhammad’s Women Companions and the Traditions they Related. By Shaykh Muhammad Hisham Kabbani and Dr. Laleh Bakhtiar. Defenders Publications, 500 pgs, 1998.
- Remembrance of God Liturgy of the Sufi Naqshbandi Masters. Kazi Publications, 32 pgs, 1998.
- Angels Unveiled: A Sufi Perspective. Kazi Publications, 262 pgs, 1996.
- The Naqshbandi Sufi Way – History and Guidebook of the Saints of the Golden Chain. Kazi Publications, 469 pgs, 1995.
- The Today Show (NBC) with Katie Couric – 9/17/01
- “This was an not only an attack on America or the West, this was an attack on Islam, the Quran and on every Muslim inside and outside the United States.”
- WDIV Detroit (NBC) News at 5 – 9/17/01
- “Islam doesn’t teach terrorism, nor allow you to kill anyone. Islam tells you to toss a flower on your enemy in order to bring him to your side, not to fight with him.”
- WXYZ Detroit (ABC) Special Panel on Profiling and Hate Crimes – 9/17/01
- Answering a question about radical religious movements:
- “They came against Uzbekistan because [government officials] were stopping those extremists from
- coming into their country, as in Syria, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, and Algeria. If the Muslim scholars are not condemning these [radical] teachings and ideology, they will face a lot of problems in the future.”
- September 2001 – In the aftermath of the terrorist attacks, Shaykh Kabbani has conducted interviews with NBC’s Today Show, Fox News Live, CNN Headline News, USNews and World Report, The Wall Street Journal, NPR, the LA Times and many others.
- Summer 2001 – South East Asian media – Shaykh Kabbani’s efforts to promote traditional Islam in South East Asia were featured in several newspapers throughout Malaysia and Indonesia.
- September 2000 - Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty – “Fighting Fundamentalism with Sufism.” Paul Goble reports on how the Uzbek government is adopting an Islamic approach to tackling the problem of militant “Islamist” infiltration of the nation.
- April 2000 - The Washington Times – report on how radical Muslims and extremist elements
- overshadow peace-loving, tolerant Muslims of the world.
- May 2000 – Newsweek – featured 2-page spread of Shaykh Hisham as the sole consult on Islamic
- perspective of miracles and healing as viewed by Muslims, Jews and Christians
- May 1999 – San Jose Mercury News – Religion & Ethics cover story on political differences and
- their implications within US Muslim community
- March 1999 – Los Angeles Times – cover story on the struggle to establish traditionally moderate
- Islamic leadership in the US
- February 1999 – BBC – interviewed for a London-based news program on extremist movements in the Western world
- August 1998 – National Press Club – Keynote Speaker at a Morning Newsmaker on Islamic Extremism, Member of the Newsmakers Committee, through The Muslim Magazine
- August 1998 -Discovery Channel – Interviewed in depth and served as a source on the mystical aspect of Islam for a one-hour documentary on Islam.
- August 1998 – Odyssey Channel – Interviewed as a main source for a half-hour special aired worldwide on the bombing of U.S. embassies in Tanzania and Kenya.